Animal Control


Monday to Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. Call 204-859-2779

After hours call Murray at 1-204-720-5166.

The Municipality of Rossburn currently employs 1 Animal Control Officer. The officer is available 7 days a week 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and after hours for emergencies only. You must call to make a complaint to (204) 859-2779 during hours and 1-(204) 720-5166 after hours.





      The services that are provided by Animal Control are:

  • Securing dogs/cats and any other domestic animals that are running at large
  • Checking rabies tags on dogs to ensure that vaccinations are current.
  • Destroying any animals that are causing a nuisance
  • Destroy/remove any pests (meaning any animal, bird, rodent, domestic or wild animal causing a health hazard)
  • Assisting injured domestic animals and finding immediate medical care
  • Investigating animal cruelty situations
  • Securing injured wildlife
  • Dealing with odor problems from the defecation of dogs and cats
  • Ensuring dangerous dogs are declared dangerous under the by-law

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Does my dog or cat have to have a licence?

A. At this time we have no licensing by – law.

Q. How many dogs or cats am I allowed to have?

A. You are permitted to have 2 adult cats and/or 2 adult dogs.   Puppies can stay at your residence up to 6 months of age, unless you are a licensed breeder.

Q. Do you trap small animals?

A. We do not trap rodents on private property, however if you have larger pests such as skunks, woodchucks, raccoons, etc., we will trap and remove.

Q. If you find my dog, where can I pick him up?

A. Pets are transported to the Pound and can be picked up by contacting the Animal Control Officer ( Murray ) at 1-(204) 720-5166. There is a pound fee incurred when you collect your pet.

Q. Can I surrender my pet to Animal Control?

A. If the pet is approved by Animal Control, there will be a nominal fee which must be paid at the time of collection to the Animal Control Officer.

Q. Can I use my own traps in my yard?

A. General answer is No ~ however, each case can be determined at the discretion of the Animal Control Officer.

Q. Must my pets vaccinations be up to date?

A. Yes, regardless if they are indoor or outdoor pets.

Q. What do I do if I am bitten by a dog?

A. Seek medical attention, if required. Then call The Animal Control Officer at 1 (204) 720-5166

Q. Can I walk my dog without a leash in town?

A. No. All Dogs MUST be leashed at all times, other than on private property.

Q. How do I make an Animal Control complaint?

A. Please phone the Municipal Office (204) 859-2779 with your information and concerns. After hours call 1(204)720-5166 ( Murray )

Q. Can I take my dog to the school grounds during the summer months?

A. No. In fact, it is an offence to permit your dog on ANY school,  playground or cemetery at ANY time, whether under control or not.