Culture & Heritage

St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery

Historical: St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery

SW 36-19-23W, owner is the Church Board of St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church.

St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church at Olha, one of the oldest churches in the area, was built in 1904. It is an excellent example of a type that was distinguished by its cross-shaped plan, twin towers and central cupola. The original belfry, constructed in 1915, was later sold. Jacob Maydaniuk painted the interior icons in 1927. This building is a designated historic site. Phone 204-234-5236 for information and tour arrangements.

LOCATION: Hamlet of Olha, corner of PR577 and Road 113N


St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery

Historical: St. Peter and St. Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church and Cemetery

SE 12-20-24W, owner is the Ruthenian Catholic Mission of The Order of St. Basil The Great in Canada.

The original church was built in 1901, but disagreements within the parish led to the construction of a second nearby church in 1904. It remained in use until 1959.

Since its restoration in 1978, the church opens annually on July 12 for public mass followed by a family picnic.

LOCATION: From Rossburn, travel north on PR264, then east on PR577, then turn south on the first road past the Rossman Lake Golf Course.


Historical: St. Johns Ukrainian United Church and Cemetery

NE 16-20-24W, owner is the St. John Ruthenian Presbyterian Church.

LOCATION: The building has since been demolished, the cemetery can be found by travelling north on PR264, then east on PR 577. After about 5 km it will be on the right hand side.


St. John Cantius Catholic Church and Cemetery

Historical: St. John Cantius Catholic Church and Cemetery

SW 24-19-23W, owner is the Roman Catholic Archiepiscopal Corporation of Winnipeg.

Built in 1929 at a cost of $6000, this church possesses a fine tower crowned with a tall spire. Pointed arches cap the windows and doors.

LOCATION: Southeast of Olha off PR577

 


ASSUMPTION OF THE VIRGIN MARY UKRAINIAN GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH - GLEN ELMO

Historical: Assumption of the Virgin Mary Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church – Glen Elmo

NW 2-21-25W, owner is the Congregation of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of the Assumption of St. Mary.

A provincial heritage site, the present church was built in 1928 with timber from nearby Riding Mountain, and restored in 1997. The first log church was built in 1905 on donated land which is now a cemetery. Interior visits by appointment. Call 204-859-2508/2240/2527.

LOCATION: From Rossburn travel north on PR 264 and follow the signs.

 


UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE ASCENSION - RUTHENIA

Historical: Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Ascension – Ruthenia

This small church in the former community of Ruthenia was constructed in 1911. An associated cemetery is situated a few hundred meters to the east

LOCATION: (about N50.83075, W100.90095).

 

 


sacred_heart_ukr_cath_church_outsideActive: Sacred Heart Ukrainian Catholic Church

Parish Office :  (204) 859-3025
P.O. Box 173
81 Victoria Avenue East
Rossburn, MB
R0J 1V0
Cell:  (204) 773-6594
Emails:              sacred.heart.rossburn@hotmail.ca               m_khomitskyy@yahoo.com

For worship services please call or email for information

The Sacred Heart of Jesus Ukrainian Catholic Church is the second church of the parish. The first church was constructed by the founders of the parish 1943-44. The larger (actual) church was built in 1970.


Community ChurchActive: Rossburn Community Church

Service 11:00 am Sunday, Corner of Victoria Ave and Main Street, Rossburn

 

 


Alliance Church

Active: Rossburn Alliance Church

Worship Services held Sunday mornings at 11.00 AM.

Come on out and worship with us – Everyone Welcome.

Contact information: Phone: 204 859 2891 / Fax: 204 859 2891
Email: rossburncmachurch@hotmail.com
Address: Box 249, 21 Parkview Drive, Rossburn R0J 1V0


St Eliah

Active: St. Eliah Orthodox Church

Contact information: 204-859-2594, Main Street North, Rossburn

Service once a month, please call for details

 

 

 


St Theresa

 Active: St. Theresa’s Roman Catholic Church

Mass at 11:00 am Sunday and 7:00 pm Thursday

Contact information: 204-859-2775, Fax 204-773-2342,

Email: stjoewkr@mymts.net

Address: Box 596, 152 Victoria Ave West, Rossburn

 

Rossburn sites.08 027

Buddhas

Ukrainian settlers first arrived in the area west of Riding Mountain in 1899. These were the first structures Ukrainian settlers lived in sometimes as many as three families in a structure 17-1/2 feet long, 17 feet wide and 11 feet high at the peak. These dwellings, also called buddas, budas or boordays were small, semi-subterranean wooden pole A-frame structures covered with sod and any wild grasses that were long enough to use. Michael Swistun was born in a Buddha in 1900 and later constructed two of them on the original site near the settlement trail. LOCATION: Follow PR577 to Olhal and follow the signs. Contact for more info: Sylvia at 204-859-3115

 


Chrissie 002

Marconi School

NW 23-20-23W, the only historic school in the area restored and  used as a museum. Built in 1922 with an opening class of 69 students, the school was in operation until 1958. In 1984, a school reunion inspired volunteers to maintain the building and in 1990, Marconi School was designated a Municipal Heritage Site. By 1992, it was restored. One-room schools built after World War I were modest in size and amenities, but 20 years later they were built to a standardized design produced by the Department of Education and adapted from domestic styles of the day – a cottage look. LOCATION: From Rossburn, 5 km north on PR 264, 16 km east on PR 577 to the sign indicating where to turn left(north), then proceed approx 1.6 km (1 mile) north. Contact for more info:  Shirley at 204-859-2429

 


massgrave by Pam Little July 2013

Ukrainian Settlement Monument (Mass Grave)

A monument at Patterson Lake commemorates the 100th anniversary of Ukrainian settlement in Canada (1891-1991) and marks the site where, in 1899, 42 children and three adults succumbed to scarlet fever on their way to new homesteads being surveyed near by and a better life in the Parkland region.  The group of 400 immigrants had to be quarantined near Patterson Lake. A late spring snow storm, combined with inadequate food and shelter caused the entire camp to become ill. LOCATION: Travel 7.5 km (4.75 miles) north of Oakburn on PR 577 (watch for “Historic Site – Mass Grave” sign). Turn left and travel west approx 1.2 km (3/4 mile) to the site. Contact for more info: Sylvia at 204-859-3115

Located on Cheddar Ave the Museum will be open during the  months of July and August from Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm,

Features a replica Ukrainian village, with a model church and thatch-roofed homes and buildings. Display items include Ukrainian artifacts, agricultural tools, printing press, pioneer kitchen, period hairdressing salon and a school room.

Contact for more info or for out of season visit:  Val at 204-859- 2848 or 3334,   Brian at 204-859-0051