Marconi School (1922), a one room schoolhouse with an attached teacherage, is a fine example of the
multigrade facilities that served many small communities in Manitoba during the first half of the twentieth century. Based on one of the most popular standardized provincial school designs available between 1912 and the mid 1920s, the building incorporates architectural features such as an informal hipped roof, obligatory bank of windows on one side and a tin ceiling. The restored school also is a rare example in Manitoba of an intact early school site, complete with grounds, flagpole, and outhouses. Built by carpenter Frank Kennedy, the structure served the community for nearly three decades and is one of the few remaining heritage schools on its original site in the Rossburn municipality.
Municipally Designated Sites
Marconi School was designated by the Rural Municipality of Rossburn as Municipal Heritage Site on February 13, 1990. Travel north from Rossburn to PR 264 to PR 577, continue past Rossman Lake and turn north again to the Marconi School sign.